Wednesday, August 21, 2013

This past Saturday, at my writing chapter meeting, I had the honor of being recognized for my first sale. 

I would be lying if I didn't admit I've thought of, and planned, for this moment numerous times over the years. That very morning, as driving to the meeting, I considered what to say. Once I got to the front of the room, however, my mind went blank.

With this room full of people I know, adore, and who have supported me in various ways over the years, suddenly I was overwhelmed. I managed a few words, not nearly as adequate or eloquent, as I would have hoped. 

The reality is beginning to set in.

While I'm thrilled to have the label "Published Author" now included on my name on my Facebook page, there is a responsibility now to earn that label beyond this first book.

Luckily I have an amazing Critique Partner who encourages me, has faith in me, someone that I consider as a friend as much as an integral part of my business plan. More importantly, she helps me brainstorm.

For the past two days she and her delightful husband, stopped at our house mid-way through their adventure of re-settling their daughter at college. Yesterday we spent the day working out some back story and scene ideas for the beginning of the new manuscript.  We also managed to work out a few kinks in her upcoming novella idea and decided on when next we'd get together for another brainstorm/writing/goal setting weekend.  We are also going to try and start an every-other-week phone call dedicated to our current project. In between those calls, we'll no doubt have others, just to chat.

So, I find that while I'm nervous about managing this new phase of my life, along with all that will come with it, I'm comforted by the knowledge that I'm not alone. 

Who do you rely on when facing something daunting?

No comments:

Post a Comment